Wednesday, September 8, 2021

BLD

     I haven't posted for about four months.....been pretty ill and doctor appointments were taking over my life it seemed. Still don't know exactly what's wrong.....but I'm feeling better and I want to start again.....

     So I start with a sad entry......we lost our sweet boy BLD aka Trooper last week. I started this blog in 2012 which was the same time BLD came into Husky Haven. He came in with a terribly broken leg (BLD broken leg dog) and some of his teeth knocked out. When we went to the surgeon to have his leg repaired she told us he had no road rash or abrasions...so someone actually hit him with something to break that leg in so many places. He had major surgery and was really great about it......

     I posted a lot about his progress that year...he had a set back and had to have another surgery but handled it like a Trooper, that name was given to him in a contest I had on the blog, he healed quite well considering the extent of his injuries.
     By 2013 he was out of his apparatus and moving really well. One thing you need to know about him...he was not a speed demon...pretty sure if he escaped any of us could have caught him!! 
     He stayed at the rescue most of 2013, gaining strength and feeling better. In 2014 our director required major surgery and since BLD was an inside dog we needed to find him a foster. I got him to a friend and it indeed seemed like he might get adopted. Pat came home and recuperated, I found out the foster home was unstable, and a few months BLD was back as our de facto mascot.
     He stayed at the rescue for the next three years....to tell you the truth I don't think Pat wanted him to be elsewhere. One of those instances of spending so much time with him and nursing him back to health. He was a favorite on our volunteer days...he wanted love from everyone and they obliged!!
     One funny thing that he would always do, especially on volunteer days. On those Saturdays lunch was provided for everyone (Thanks Barb) and people would carelessly leave plates with food on the coffee table...easy pickings for BLD. When you would scold him for his bad behavior he would back up, sit down, fix you with his brown eyes and hold up his wounded paw. I have to admit , it worked, because we'd all start laughing. He used that trick all the time!!!!
     In 2017 when it was clear that we would be getting forever homes for the remaining dogs and shutting down the rescue we looked for a place for BLD. One of our volunteers, Charlene and her family stepped up to the plate and BLD went to his forever home!!!





    

     I went to see him last year and he looked so tired and old....poor boy. He just was so sick at the end...that was it. We never knew how old he was but probably 12 or 13 when he died....hate to think of his first few years before he got to us. I will so miss that silly boy, after he had his surgery I went over every day to help with him so I was pretty attached to him too!!!
     Hope he is chasing everyone around at the Rainbow Bridge.....
     Love and miss you......

No comments:

Post a Comment