Thursday, March 19, 2020

Volga......

I actually can't believe I am writing this right now. Not five weeks after losing my beautiful TJ I have now lost Volga.....

Volga came to live with me when we closed the Husky Haven rescue in very early 2018. I always told him if he was still around at the end he would go with me......and he did. He had a lot of issues and was deemed a "bad dog" so no one really looked at him. He had trouble with a lot of men but really if you got to know him he was pretty nice. When I got him to my house he was great with my son and everyone who visited me.

Not too long after he was here I noticed a small growth by his elbow area. Within two weeks it was huge and after tests we found it was cancerous. It was a very slow moving cancer and had not spread...and because of his age...13 or older....decided not to have it removed. Everything was well...never had any problems till Tuesday.
Took him out for a normal walk....did notice the tumor was a red color and thought I would call the vet later. They had breakfast, I ran an errand and when I got home I let him out back. Not ten minutes went by and I looked out and all I saw was blood. That tumor had literally exploded.....blood everywhere. Got my friend Denise to help me get him to the vet and was given only two options...amputation or euthanasia. His leg just couldn't be fixed at that point. Denise and I talked about it a lot but we agreed that amputation on a 15 year old dog would be a bad choice for him so I decided to let him go.
I am overwhelmed at the loss of my two boys in such a short period of time....barely had time to grieve for TJ.....and now Volga.


They were pretty good buddies in life....hope TJ has introduced Volga to Lizzy and they are all feeling good at the Rainbow Bridge.
Will miss you boys............

2 comments: